Apply to have your own exhibition in The Image Centre Student Gallery. Learn more about eligibility requirements, submissions and our programming schedule.
Housed within The Image Centre (IMC), the Student Gallery showcases the work of current students or recent alumni (graduated within five years) from the Ryerson community. The Image Centre is committed to providing students with a central venue and assistance in presenting their work to professional standards. Exhibitions are intended to engage audiences in dialogue with recent issues in contemporary photography, film, or new media work, presented in the form of thematic, curated group or solo exhibitions. Student work may be presented in exhibitions that include the work of Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) alumni or artists from outside of TMU as a way to feature their work in a deeper critical discussion around a given curatorial subject. On occasion, the Student Gallery may include the work of a senior artist in a group exhibition context with student work. Student Gallery programming endeavours to thematically reflect upon or compliment exhibitions in the main gallery space in order to position student work within an international forum. The Student Gallery may also be used for collection based exhibitions curated by students in the curations programs at TMU.
The Image Centre Student Gallery Programming will be developed in a number of ways, including:
- Proposals received from an annual open call for submissions
- Curatorial proposals initiated by independent curators (these may include students). Please note this must feature the work of Toronto Metropolitan University students or alumni*
- Faculty directed or curated projects
- Graduating exhibitions from the Documentary Media MFA program
- An annual collection based exhibition curated by students in the FPPCM MA program
- Other to be determined by The Image Centre Director and Exhibitions Curator
*Graduated within the last five years. If you graduated before 2015 you are not eligible
Call for Submissions:
The Image Centre (IMC) is now accepting submissions for the Student Gallery. The deadline to apply is Tuesday, May 30, 2023. If you have any questions please contact The Image Centre Curatorial Coordinator, Sara Angelucci (firstname.lastname@example.org)
To submit to The Image Centre Student Gallery please:
Create a Drop Box Account: www.dropbox.com/register
- Create a Drop Box Account: www.dropbox.com/register
- Upload all documents listed above in a Folder with your LAST NAME
- Invite Sara Angelucci to Share your Folder at: email@example.com
- (Drop Box provides instructions on folder sharing)
- If you are submitting a video for consideration you may either send a link to Vimeo (preferred) or mail in a DVD with a “mov” file to:
RSG Curatorial Coordinator
The Image Centre
33 Gould Street
Please UPLOAD the following documents to your Drop Box Folder. All written documents must be in .doc form:
1. 10 - 20 images representing the proposed project for exhibition. Image files should be no more than 1024 pixels wide (72 dpi) jpg.
2. An image list indicating title, year, medium and dimensions.
3. An artist or curatorial statement (one page maximum, word doc).
4. A physical description of the proposed exhibition, including the number of works, the planned layout for the IMC Student Gallery, equipment needed and/or provided, and any unusual installation requirements. A floor plan is available for download here.
5. A curriculum vitae, resume or biography of the artist(s) and/or curator (including all artists if it is a curated exhibition). And any other supporting materials you would like to include (web links, reviews, etc.) Please remember to include your email address and phone number.
6. A 150 word version of your artist statement (word doc), 100 word version of your bio (word doc), and 4-5 high res images, 2 horizontal and 2 vertical (6” high, 300 dpi, RGB, tif file), with title credit (title, date, materials, size). If your exhibition is selected these materials will be used for promotional materials.
7. If you are submitting a DVD by mail, send to The Image Centre, Attention: Sara Angelucci, Student Gallery Curatorial Coordinator. If you would like it returned include a stamped self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage. Without an SASE your DVD will not be returned.
Download submission guidelines in PDF format
Call for Submissions:
The Image Centre is now accepting submissions for the Student Gallery. The deadline to apply is Tuesday, May 30, 2023. If you have any questions please contact The Image Centre Curatorial Coordinator, Sara Angelucci (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The IMC Student Gallery will not exhibit work that has already been shown in Toronto outside of a school context. If your work was shown as part of a group show at Toronto Metropolitan University, in Room IMA 310 or at Max Ex it is still eligible for an exhibition at the Student Gallery.
- You may only exhibit in the IMC Student Gallery once. If you were in a group exhibition you may apply for a solo exhibition.
- The IMC Student Gallery cannot be painted. Please do not request a particular colour as part of your exhibition planning. Paint colour will remain a neutral white or gray for each programming year to best suit the exhibitions selected for programming.
- Please DO NOT send any original photographic or other original materials
- The IMC Student Gallery does not accept submissions by fax or email.
- Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Please allow for 8 weeks for a response
- Selected exhibitions will receive an artist fee of $1,000.
For more information, please contact:
Sara Angelucci, email@example.com